Microfiction Story Lab: Nightmare in Wonderland

 

Image Information: Nightmare from pixabay


Nightmare in Wonderland 

I'm falling. When will it stop? BAM. I land. At least it was in this pile of... human bones?! What is happening? I was taking a walk when this large wolf suddenly dragged me into this hole. AROOO. I hear the wolf howl in the distance. I start to run away. Now, I stumble upon a large snake. HISSS. I run away. Now, there is a tiger baring its large teeth in front of me. ROARRR. I run away. Now, there is a creepy, old man in a hat. He reaches his hand towards me. Oh, this is a nightmare. 


"Whew, it was just a dream."


Author's Note: 

This microfiction is inspired by Alice in Wonderland. I decided to create my own twist on the story by making it creepy and scary. So, instead of Alice following a white rabbit down a hole she is dragged down a hole by a wolf. Alice lands in a pile of human bones. Instead of Alice meeting a weird caterpillar she meets a snake. And, instead of Alice meeting a smiling cat she meets a tiger roaring at her. Instead of Alice meeting a crazy man in a hat she meets a creepy, old man. 

The shorter six-word version is a continuation from the one-hundred word version. Alice wakes up and is relieved it was all just a dream. 

Bibliography: 

"Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" by Lewis Carroll (weblink)

Comments

  1. Hi Helen!

    The rhythm of this story is awesome! I noticed myself starting to bop along to the words as I read which is always an excellent thing to notice when reading because it means you have given your work a musical element. I love spooky stuff so I really liked this story as well. I also love the image you chose. So scary! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen, I like your story! At first I was confused about what was happening, but your author's note gave a lot of clarity. Personally I think that Alice in Wonderland is a scary story anyways, but you definitely made it a lot creepier. It would be fun to see you turn this into a longer story, but you did a great job with the micro fiction assignment. I really like how you included sound effects, and the way you subverted different elements of the original story. Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts