Reading Notes: Persian Tales, Part A


Image Information: Wolf, photo by Arturo de Frias Marques


 For this week, I decided to read the Persian Tales book. This one was interesting because each story started and ended the same. I like this style of story telling. I did this when I was writing two stories for my micro fiction. I started both versions of the story the same in the beginning and end. I might try doing this for my storybook. I also noticed another trend with the stories. Not all, but must of the stories had some sort of repetition throughout. My favorite story from part A did not have this repetition. I don't prefer this storytelling method as I find it tiresome and boring to read. 


The Wolf-Aunt

- Plot: The story is about a poor family. The father of the family has seven daughters. His job is to collect thorn bushes and sell them as fuel to provide for his family. They barely had enough to scrape by. One day, on his back back to the house he saw an old woman. The old woman pretended to know his and said that she was his sister. She said that she had left the house when he was only a boy. She told him that she was rich and could provide for the family. 

- So the husband, wife, and seven daughters stayed with the old woman who they believed to be family. they were wrong. Turns out she was a wolf disguising as a human. She wanted to fatten them up and then eat them. The wife and daughters found out and left. The husband refused to believe it so he got eaten in the end. 

If I rewrite this story I might change up the part where the old woman said she was his long lost sister. It doesn't seem like a good enough lie to trick someone. 


Bibliography: 

"The Wolf-Aunt" from the Persian Tales written by D.L.R. Lorimer and E.O. Lorimer and illustrated by Hilda Roberts (weblink)

Comments

Popular Posts