Feedback Strategies

One of the two articles I read on feedback strategies was "Be a Mirror: Give Readers Feedback That Fosters a Growth Mindset" by Gravity Goldberg. Goldberg talks about five different qualities that make up good feedback. The first is the be specific which makes sense. The second quality is to focus on what the reader is doing not on what is missing. Goldberg says, "a mirror cannot reflect what is not there". I really liked Goldberg's use of a mirror in trying to give good feedback. The third quality is to focus on the process and the work the reader put in. This helps the reader know that their effort is valued. The fourth quality is to make sure it can transfer. I believe Goldberg means that to look into the readers' work in a different perspective or show the reader a different light or path they can take. The final quality is to take yourself out of the feedback. I can relate to this one because every time I give feedback I always use the word "I". Goldberg says that this can cause the reader to believe that their goal is to please the adult. 


The other article I chose to read was, "How to Provide Great Feedback When You're Not In Charge". The article states that there are three types of feedback: appreciation, advice, and evaluation. I like the saying the article included, "It's not about what's being said, but about what's being heard". Sometimes people can try to criticize nicely, but the receiver hears something completely different. It's important to really think about the different ways your advice/evaluation will come across as. I always try to imagine myself receiving the feedback I give other. I ask myself, "would I be offended if someone gave me this criticism or would I appreciate it"? 

Overall, I will definitely take what I learned form these two articles and apply it to how I give feedback to my fellow classmates. I tend to stray away from giving negative feedback and just focusing on praising. However, that isn't always as helpful. To help someone really improve, it's better to give them tips on what they can do better. I also really liked the examples in the feedback gallery. 




Image Information: 
feedback (pixabay

Comments

Popular Posts